In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- One major change since 1935 has been the disappearance of the so-called circulating library.
- The reading public had been massively organized and empowered by the new phenomenon of the circulating library.
- They also ran a circulating library which advertised ‘an immense quantity of volumes’.
- Millard relied on the local circulating library for learning.
- He opened the first circulating library in Edinburgh in 1726.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.