In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(large town)ciudad femeninothe big city — la gran ciudad
- city plan — plano de la ciudad
- Of course we ended up staying and exploring Rome because it is such a beautiful city.
- A torrent of people rushed from their office buildings throughout the capital, eager to leave a city under siege.
- Was it in towns and cities, the countryside villages and shopping centres?
- The flip side of the coin is that hotels located in the heart of the city cost more.
- The survey ranked mainland cities in terms of their commercial competitiveness for the year 2004.
- Since then it has toured 73 cities in 32 countries and attracted over 7.5 million viewers.
- Is it any wonder that our town and city centres are blighted with multitudes of empty shops?
- So can we have some sensible ideas for developing our city centre and outlying towns.
- His favourite is to take the city slickers out to see the Northern Lights.
- Edinburgh and Glasgow were yesterday celebrating after being named Britain's top tourist cities for the second year running.
- But we do not accept this fate with the torpor of other city dwellers.
- Nonetheless, I'm happy to leave the city of my birth at arms length for now.
- Still, for all our differences country folk and city slickers posses one commonality.
- Suburban sprawl surrounds the two major northern cities of Inverness and Aberdeen.
- Stymied, city councilors considered other options including burning, shipping elsewhere and composting.
- The city centre is a beautiful mixture of old and new, all of it tinted in a reddish pink.
- Nearly every port city in the world has a substantial population of these rodents.
- She has been busy visiting cities across the country for the last couple of weeks.
- It is great to be able to follow all the events in your beautiful city as they occur.
- An influx of new shops and bars is set to bring the eastern part of the city centre alive.
2BritanicoFinanzasthe City — (el centro financiero londinense) la City (de Londres)
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.