In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1funcionario encargado de la administración de una ciudad
- We have tried to have a dialogue with the city manager, but he has refused to meet us.
- One year when I was police chief in San Jose, the city manager sent me a budget that contained no money for equipment.
- I serve as the city manager and, like other public officials across the United States, I have in the last three years paid much greater attention to emergency response issues than ever before.
- Towns on the rebound often have to go through several local elections to find a new city manager who believes in better days ahead.
- The city manager stressed that there was no reason why the parade shouldn't be as big as any other ones that take place across the country.
- I just spoke to the city manager here in Marco Island.
- A choir from the city manager's office, who were wearing a range of traditional outfits, entertained crowds.
- The city manager and department directors have severance packages that include 18 months of salary.
- The report, which landed in the city manager's office in March, notes a serious degradation of the sewerage conveyance and treatment works.
- As a result Galveston was one of the first cities in America to have departments for things like water and sanitation and to function under the direction of a city manager.
- Contentions by opponents that the measure will cover about 200 workers citywide were bolstered by a short report released by the city manager last month.
- She proposed changes specifically to the section that addresses the roles of council members and the city manager.
- The city manager, who was out of town on vacation, issued a weak statement taking full responsibility for the error.
- Never mind that the city manager appoints the authority's entire board.
- They tend, like the city manager quoted above, to see their communities as government property to be managed.
- Implementation will be co-ordinated from the corporate planning unit in the office of the city manager.
- He said while they were committed to co-operative governance he felt the city manager's hand had been forced in ordering the cut-offs.
- The city manager had initially denied permission for this exercise.
- It also provides for municipal officials to oversee and adjudicate tenders under the city manager, who then reports to council to exercise an oversight role on tenders awarded.
- We have written to the city manager appealing to hold the rates at the current level and not to increase them.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.