In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ciudad estado femenino
- The city state of 4 million people, once a fierce Asian Tiger, is chanting a mantra of change as it shakes off its worst recession since 1964 and works on restructuring the economy to stay competitive.
- Take the Greek city state of 2,000 plus years ago and analyse what kind of baby was there at the birth of democracy and why that Athenian flame went out, never truly rekindled until the French and American revolutions.
- This initially took the form of glorifying the city state: the city state was the world.
- Until the 11th century the political situation was confused and Naples, although nominally part of the Byzantine empire, was in fact an independent city state, which prospered from its trade with the East.
- I enjoyed getting a more detailed look at the city state's beautiful gardens.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.