In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1guerra civil femeninothe Civil War — (in US) la Guerra de Secesión
- The film ends with the couple driven apart by civil war, world war and dictatorship.
- The programme's central claim is that the civil war was really a war about religion.
- In the very process of winning the civil war, the regime was inwardly corrupted.
- The people here were already in difficulty due to the civil war that had raged for nearly 20 years.
- Children tend to be used heavily as soldiers during prolonged civil wars; and such civil wars abound at present.
- They are fleeing persecution, civil wars and grinding deprivation.
- All of the national and religious communities have been victimized by the civil wars.
- This rivalry had involved civil wars, peasant uprisings, and religious strife of every description.
- The scene drives home as nothing else the ugly ironies that make civil wars the cruelest.
- It has lasted for a long time, through depressions, recessions, slumps, civil wars and world wars.
- This acted as the trigger for a series of civil wars, as reactionaries and progressives battled both with the French and each other.
- During the past 15 years, the number of wars and civil wars has not diminished.
- Independence from Spain in 1816 led to a succession of civil wars during the nineteenth century.
- It could also lay the basis for civil wars, tension between the US and European powers and future military intervention.
- Refugees from civil wars all over the world also used this border to enter Europe.
- And as you know, almost all the wars are civil wars, so that's how we devote our time.
- We can tell that they've had civil war after civil war and that much of their population is unemployed.
- Its aim would be to stop wars and civil wars which are preventing development in parts of the continent.
- This has fuelled the civil war, which has left two and a half million people dead and which still rages today.
- The men moving the chess pieces are hurling millions of people into poverty, with tens of thousands forced to flee from numerous civil wars.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.