In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Land ownership was nonexistant in the Arabian desert, instead there was collective control over the oases, pastures, and wells, and mostly the stronger clans controlled the best territories.
- The Tang Dynasty appointed local clan chieftains to govern for them.
- They descended from clans in present-day Guangxi province after the fall of the Han Dynasty in AD 220.
- People of the same clan claim a common totem (dodem, do daim, or do dam), the symbol of a living creature.
- Highland society in general, however, was organized into that most celebrated of Scottish institutions, the clan.
- But the strong tradition of upholding the clan makes for mutual support and a sharing and egalitarian instinct.
- The clans have loosely defined territories, and prolonged wars, often spanning generations, were once common between clans.
- Persons with different surnames may share a common clan name, revealing a relationship along the lineage.
- The new clan chieftain was announced out of an initial 10 nominees.
- In addition, nearly every Rajput clan has its own patron god to whom it turns for protection.
- However, these villages' customary landowner clans refused the dam's construction, outlining several reasons.
- Let us go back in time where Scottish tartan denoted the clan you belonged too.
- Since the early 1990s, Somalia has suffered from a civil war between rival clans.
- Outside the immediate family, the lineage and the clan are the most common descent groups.
- "Kaya, watch your mouth, you're talking to your clan leader!
- The Scottish have used tartan patterns for centuries to identify the clan, family or regiment with which the wearer is associated.
- Tartan ties, scarves and even a map of the Scottish clans filled the window of the shop.
- Formal education used to be of little significance among ruling and landowning Rajput clans.
- Where I'm from, my family had to hide from rival Somalia clans.
- Other Rajput clans trace their ancestry to the Sun or Moon.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.