In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(social stratum)clase femeninothe ruling class/classes — la clase dominante
- a better class of customer — clientes de más categoría
- before noun the class struggle / war — la lucha de clases
- A deeply divided political class nourished a range of conflicting and often utopian ideological goals.
- The old two-tier class system will become three-tier and the most disadvantaged will have been sold down the river.
- In the working class suburbs of Paris youth unemployment stands at up to 50 percent.
- But the underlying economic and class systems were exactly the same as in Western capitalist countries.
- Yet, once you sink into the absolutely hilarious escapades of the English upper class, his books are delightful.
- Marx's collaborator Frederick Engels argued that women's oppression was as old as class society.
- We must unite beyond the boundaries of race, class, belief systems and age that all too often divide us.
- The central characteristic of the society we live in is that it is divided by class.
- The end of the 19th Century really marked the time when novels of class made their appearance here.
- At the same time, whenever given the opportunity, he would mock the English upper class.
- Traditionally supporters have been divided by history, class and politics.
- Indeed, involvement in global trade and finance is often as much a function of class as the North-South divide.
- They're quite low down the social ladder, but they always seem to know how to transcend class and society to get what they need.
- These are mostly consumer and lifestyle issues… things based on money, class, and economics.
- The propertied class and the class of the proletariat represent the same human self-alienation.
- Our beloved class system doesn't help of course, as we are restricted into marriage from a small group of people at work or friends and play.
- They live in a modest apartment in a lower middle class suburb of New York.
- There was no private ownership of property among the Guardian class, no marriage, and no family life.
- Agriculture, religion, economics and even social class were affected.
- Unfortunately, there can be no lasting peace as long as the system engages in class and generation warfare.
- The English ruling class had men of high calibre to call upon.
- The domination of social and economic class jumps out of page after page.
- Next, the assault on this country's middle class is continuing.
- Of course, the chances of me being allowed to marry below my class are pretty small, but I'll try.
- Now, he does appear to show a distaste for the slave morality of mediocre men, and yes, he does seem to think that the qualities of nobility are higher or better than the qualities of other classes.
- In some working class suburbs in Buenos Aires unemployment has hit 80 percent.
- Poor people's energies should be refocused in united actions against the capitalist ruling class.
- Castes which, though ranking above the repressed classes are still of low status, are also pressing for admission to a higher place in the gradation of castes.
- The society is characterised by class relations between producers and parasites.
- They portrayed the ruling capitalist class as all-powerful and able to exploit, manipulate and deceive workers at will.
- Although these divisions are more complex than what we commonsensically mean by class, this system has a number of advantages.
- How do we get back middle class white collar voters?
- The assault on this country's middle class just doesn't quit.
- Pensioners do not want to feel ignored and be treated as second class citizens.
- They were outnumbered hugely both by the gentry classes above them, and by the general peasantry below.
2.1(group of students)clase femeninohe came top of his class — salió primero de la clase
- she's in my English class — está en mi clase de inglés
- the class of '86 — la promoción del 86
- She teaches a class of 27 pupils aged five to eight.
- When the class comes back together, each member of the pair introduces the other in detail.
- He grew up in a small town in Minnesota and graduated from West Point in the class of 1930.
- The War Room already has a clear focus on the top prospects in the class of 2003.
- There is circle time every week, where a whole class will sit together to talk about anything that is worrying them.
- The basic problem in state schools is not that pupils are taught together in classes which are too large.
- When we came to this school, we were placed in different classes.
- For the class of 2004 this is the end of the world as we know it and the beginning of life as we choose to live it.
- Another Sunday school teacher asked her class why it was necessary to be quiet in church.
- She has been getting good grades right through her school and last year she bagged the first rank in her class.
- Teachers in Queensland schools are required to teach classes of 30 students.
- The private school opened in 1994 and has 32 pupils, who are generally taught in classes of 14 pupils.
- The reunion Mass for the class of 1985 of the Mercy Convent School has a change of date.
- The information was based on an analysis of the numbers from the class of medical students set to begin their studies in the fall of 2004.
- The planting of ivy by the graduating class began in 1852.
- After a hard early life I was proud to hear that my eldest nephew had managed to earn his way to the top ranks of his senior class.
- The assignment produced good information and bound the class together in an interesting way.
- The teacher might create the following types of problem for the whole class to solve together.
- But how do I teach a whole class how to use a camera and an edit suite in one lesson per week?
- Students from the class of 1964 along with their past teachers had a great night of craic and memories.
- The size of the classes taught should also be considered.
- I was really privileged being in the last class of graduate students taught by my theory of international law guru.
- The number of infants in England being taught in classes of more than the legal limit of 30 pupils has shot up by almost a third in a year.
- There's also the draft, but this year's class does not appear to be very strong.
- An honors student, he graduated Valedictorian of his high school and college classes.
- He had been teaching a class of pupils aged 11 and 12 when he took Scott's son out of the room for being disruptive.
- Despite showing a talent for modern languages and mathematics he was only ranked 46th in his class.
- The recruiting class is an impressive one, but a bit of a decline is in order this season.
- She had been informed six months before that the class of 2005 was to have a ten year reunion.
- Messages can be relayed instantly to individuals, whole classes or to every student in the college possessing a mobile phone.
- They all did the best they could and they had to teach to a level the class as a whole could handle.
- No doubt their absence has muted the impact of the class of 2004 on the college game.
- I taught her whole class this when she was four and she finds repetition boring.
- Teaching a class of thirty students in the style that I have outlined here would not work.
- It was considerably easier to educate a whole class about asthma than to identify students with asthma and offer separate classes for them.
- He is a fine prospect, one of the best point guards in the class of 2005.
- With diplomas in hand the class of Capitol Diamond High leaves the field with smiles.
- The way in which students enter and leave the art room can affect their learning as well as the art teacher's preparation for classes.
- The point here is that teachers can use the class as a community to support learning.
- When I was at school I disrupted the classes, and the teachers couldn't handle me.
- Teachers resisted beginning classes later, and thus extending the school day, for the sake of accommodating breakfasts.
- Checking his watch, he found that he only had ten more minutes before his math class started.
- The teacher continued with the class, explaining the machine and how to avoid being caught out and giving each person a turn.
- Sam met with her friends for a short while before her science class started.
- The science class started, and I actually had to pay attention.
- And that is all that's registered in my brain during fifth period math class.
- That means classes are taught in English, and students earn degrees by accruing credits.
- The faculty had its problems as well, and some even failed to hold classes on a regular basis.
- He would even interrupt classes to ask teachers to solve the crossword clues that he could not solve.
- They sat next to each other in class and were impressed by each other's work.
- Sometimes he had to cut class in order to do song recordings, but during the last two years, his efforts had begun paying off in a big way.
- They get marked on behaviour, punctuality, contributions in class, quality of work and work completed.
- Anyhow, this is how today's class went.
- These programs often have many art teachers in the classes.
- I thought today's class went the best of the three and heard some encouraging feedback which was very cool.
- Just like a school teacher has their class planned out for the next day, so must you.
- The strike went ahead although teachers did not suspend classes at high schools.
3.1(group, type)clase femeninoit's the best in its class — es el mejor de su clase / tipo
- to be in a class of one's/its own — ser único / inigualable
- to be in a different class to sb/sth — no tener comparación con algn/algo
- they're not in the same class as their opponents — no están a la altura de sus contrincantes
- After that he entertained the fans to batting of the highest class, with quality strokes to all parts of the ground.
- Things, like predicates, come in different sorts; and if there are ten classes or categories of predicate, there are ten classes or categories of things.
- By 1994, it had maintained its rank as the commonest species in the first two of these size classes, and ranked second in the third size class.
- You obviously need to know in terms of classes or categories what sort of people are making the claims against the company.
- Not only are there too many classes, but for some classes there are no common definitions.
- There may be different classes of common shares, some with voting privileges and some without.
- Information needed for traffic inference can be categorized into two broad classes: deterministic and measured.
- It does not fit well in any of the categories or classes of ‘old’ or ‘new’ social movements.
- Other than the lightweight classes or categories, all other classes or categories in both sports should be banned for several reasons.
- But propositions can also be about classes, including classes of propositions.
- Aristotle recognizes different sociopolitical classes or categories of women and men.
- When blood pressure control is not achieved, a second drug from a different class is added.
- But make no mistake, this is a quality production and a class apart from the norm in the West End.
- It is not possible to show that every instance of the subject class has this property.
- There will be 10 pedigree classes but also numerous categories for pet pooches, including one for the dog with the waggiest tail.
- Following the rules of scientific classification systems, the goal was to create classes or categories that did not overlap.
- He divides all the Greek philosophers into two classes: those of the Ionic and those of the Italic school.
- Ten patches each were allocated to one of four quality classes defined by the number of food items which a solitary forager could obtain during one time step.
- But it might have a positive effect on use of drugs of a different class.
- The results were similar for different classes of antidepressant drugs and subgroups of patients.
3.2Zoología Botánicaclase femenino
- These phenotypic classes are discussed below, with reference to previously identified zebrafish melanocyte mutants.
- However, among the classes of phylum Porifera, it is difficult to distinguish evolutionary relationships.
- The species are presented alphabetically within taxonomic classes.
- Within the large arthropods we found that birds consistently reduced numbers from all taxonomic classes.
4.1Transporteclase femeninoto travel first/second class — viajar en primera/segunda (clase)
4.2(in UK, in postal system)send the letter first/second class — manda la carta por correo preferente/normal
4.3(in UK)before noun he got a first class degree — se recibió con la nota más alta — en AmL
tipo de título que se concede según las calificaciones obtenidas durante la carrera y/o exámenes finales
5coloquial(style)clase femeninoestilo masculinoshe's got class — tiene clase / estilo
- a singer of true class — un cantante de categoría
- The domain whites are wines of concentration, class, and distinction.
- On these gently sloping gravel hills, great wines of class and elegance are produced.
- Only playmakers of real class can conjure magic out of thin air.
- Liverpool fans must distinguish between clusters of defeats and real decline in class.
- She had style, class, and a quiet look about her that belied the sheer passion burning within her.
- They could also do with a centre-forward, a forward or two of real class and a reliable free taker.
- Critics say he is a mercenary and a poor trainer, but there have been flashes of class in his brief appearances in claret and amber.
- I was unimpressed by the bathroom, a one-room water closet with no real class.
- He showed a real touch of both class and speed to step through two tackles and outpace the Ilkley defence to go in in the corner.
- There's no question that this drum and bass act's debut oozes class and sophistication.
- But it is only when you get moving that the real class of this reborn icon shines through.
- Smash it into a pulp so that all the realism, taste or class evaporates and you are just left with the skeleton of the story.
- Superb scores they were too, one better than the next in a show of real class.
- The place has class, style and everything else you need to have a good time.
- In my opinion it just felt right, and captured a real sense of class and style.
- It was a sign of class and distinction if you coughed up a lung or two.
- Register today and get ready to network in style, class, and executive elegance.
- He exuded class, confidence and style and for a heavily-built man was very agile and nimble.
- The game needed a touch of real class and the Frenchman provided it.
- He was excellent all through with a couple of his saves having the mark of real class.
1catalogarhe's been classed with / among the greats of the sport — está considerado como uno de los grandes del deporte
1(restaurant/actor/performance) de primera (clase) coloquial
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.