In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He was freed on Friday after being granted royal clemency and immediately announced that he had been forced into confessing to the bombings.
- In general, convicts can file for clemency as many times as they want, but they have to wait a year or two between applications.
- Nine years later, after having had countless appeals and pleas for clemency rejected, Bleach, 52, is returning home.
- They were granted an order of clemency by the king.
- He is trying to raise public awareness about her plight in order to win some state-sanctioned clemency, but it might be too late.
- Johannah was devastated and put into motion a petition for clemency.
- Everyone in the land is slowly coming to respect Gulliver's clemency and kindness.
- Her supporters have lodged a petition of mercy and are hoping the government will use its royal prerogative to grant clemency and release her.
- I have it in my hand right now from the governor's office, as to why clemency was denied.
- It's a proud tradition, as you know, of executive clemency that began with President Harry Truman.
- Unfortunately, the law is utterly silent on how, why and when this clemency should be exercised.
- It said Nguyen's appeals for clemency were carefully considered.
- He expanded his mission, compiling a list of women who might be good candidates for clemency.
- His bid for clemency failed despite frantic lobbying by his supporters.
- When the Prison Commission discussed the virtues of parole it invoked ideas of mercy and clemency.
- In effect, he argues that indiscriminate clemency for murderers perverts both justice and mercy.
- Despite his calls for clemency, it's not clear how he plans to keep his promise.
- His record indicates, for instance, that he did not see his role as one of mercy, the traditional reason for clemency.
- Self-constraint and clemency is the principle path to righteousness.
- He would, however, have the right to grant clemency to prisoners on federal death row, which currently houses 29 men.
2(of weather)benignidad femenino
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.