In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of design, plan)lo ingenioso
- Reinventing and inverting images of Irishness, Jordan associates him with intelligence, cleverness, and wit.
- The failure of love punctuates much of the intellectual cleverness of Farrell's works.
- Merlin smiled inwardly at the cleverness and competence of his young student.
- However, her cleverness and talent for witty banter makes it so she never comes across as being oppressed.
- Your compilers seem to have confused cleverness with wisdom.
2(of person)(intelligence) inteligencia femenino(skill) habilidad femenino(facetiousness) gracia femenino irónico
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.