In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(for coats)guardarropa masculinobefore noun cloakroom attendant — guardarropa masculino
- He had left it on the cloakroom floor on Wednesday last week because it was too big to fit in his locker.
- Ticket boxes and a cloakroom (behind the stairs) greet you as you come in.
- Because of the overcrowding problems in the school I know that some children are being taught in cloakrooms.
- From cloakroom attendant at The Cavern to hostess of a thousand Blind Dates, she remains one of our best-loved entertainers.
- The great spiralling lamp, lighting the ground floor cafe, is made of copper as are the intricate mesh cupboards of the cloakroom upstairs.
- Built about 15 years ago, this three-bed mid-terrace red-brick house has an entrance hallway, kitchen/dining room, living room and a cloakroom on the ground floor.
- An old fashioned pantry leads off it, with rows of neat shelving which would be roomy enough to convert to a cloakroom / utility room.
- Could they not have given out cloakroom tickets last night to everyone who queued up in the rain?
- A cloakroom and shower room complete the accommodation at this level.
- This gives an illusion of space even in tiny rooms like cloakrooms.
- They still can go into the cloistered cloakrooms, into the member's gym and dining room… and even onto the floor of congress itself.
- A utility room offers further storage and a cloakroom completes the ground floor accommodation.
- Beneath the new foyer that links hail to street and school, the architect included some basement rooms for cloakrooms and storage.
- She recounts one episode late at night, when she was confronted by the man in a corridor in the parliament building - before escaping through a cloakroom.
- A corridor leads to a fine sized family room; also in this area are a cloakroom, kitchen, laundry room and utility room.
- She worked part-time at the Paradox Club in Brighton as a cloakroom attendant.
- My mind kept returning to a cloakroom which has masses of children's clothes and coats hanging up, and a central heating boiler at the back of the room.
- The remainder of the accommodation comprises a bedroom with en suite shower room and a guest cloakroom with fitted shelving.
- Somewhere in the building there would be a cloakroom.
- The final phase currently planned is for new cloakrooms and an entrance hall linking the original building and the infants' classroom.
2Britanico(lavatory)lavabo masculinobaño (de las visitas) masculino América Latina
- There is a downstairs cloakroom which has black and gold walls, white tiles and a sunken shower with draped white shower curtains.
- To the left of the dining room is a cloakroom with guest toilet, while the kitchen can be accessed from both the dining room and hall.
- Further down the inner hall there's a guest cloakroom with a toilet, wash basin and heated towel rail.
- The cottage includes four bedrooms, three reception rooms, a bathroom and toilet, a 24 ft kitchen, a cloakroom with toilet and a garage.
- Immediately to the left is the guest cloakroom, a modern room with a ceramic toilet with polished granite surround and a hand basin with matching granite top and built-in storage presses.
- Off to either side are two of the four bedrooms, one with an adjoining shower room that doubles as a downstairs cloakroom and laundry.
- Off the hall, there is a guest cloakroom with toilet and hand basin.
- There is an en suite shower room with Mira power shower and flagstone floor, while a a separate guest cloakroom includes a washbasin and toilet.
- The back hall leads to a downstairs cloakroom with toilet, hand basin and shower.
- A year later I found myself in the ladies' cloakroom deep in the maze that is St Mary's Medical School.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.