In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- But the study of literature should be left to clodhoppers.
- Slice the Finals up any way you like, but the Nets, Pistons, Celtics, and the rest of the Eastern clodhoppers stand little or no chance of instilling fear in the Lakers.
- If it weren't for that annoying little clodhopper, he'd be mine.
- They cannot make a champion athlete out of a clodhopper.
- I'm not a big person, mind you, but next to her daintiness I'm a clodhopper with elephantiasis.
- She allowed her smile to fall and she interrupted some clodhopper of a page who seemed to be explaining to her the most boring detailed fencing match.
- By virtue of this curious loophole in the rules, any clodhopper may say: Let there be a tree - and there will be one.
- And his servile easily bewitched audience of clodhopper crusaders will carry on as before.
- The exercise is designed to separate the dim from the deft, the brains from the buffoons, the clever from the clodhoppers.
2(heavy shoe)zapatón masculino coloquial
- Eidolon was too small to help her and the Muse man was laughing too hard, so eventually she stepped on my foot with her big, clodhopper boots.
- I must say that even Phelan, weighted down with his 1930s-era theoretical clodhoppers, runs rings round him.
- She sees corporate apathy in size - 12 clodhoppers.
- ‘Well, if that's true,’ she replied, ‘then what exactly do those clodhoppers say about you?’
- Okay okay, I'm sorry, now can we go before Kenny starts hacking at my shins with his clodhoppers again?
- Mom bought me an endless array of clodhoppers she cruelly dubbed ‘orthopaedic’, making matters worse.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.