In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(grass) muy cortohe was close-cropped like a convict — llevaba el pelo (cortado) al rape como un presidiario
- ‘Whatever happens in the big city never happens here,’ says Bukvaidze, a well-built man of about 50 with close-cropped hair.
- There stood a dark-skinned adolescent with close-cropped hair, whose gender I could detect only because of her ruffly dress.
- Whiteley, who is about 5ft 9in with close-cropped hair, has a distinctive heart-shaped tattoo of ‘Debs’ on his neck.
- They prefer grassy areas where the soil is constantly moist such as lawns, pastures, and meadows in close-cropped grass.
- One, with close-cropped hair, wore a white T-shirt and a bomber-like jacket.
- His close-cropped hair is gray by genetics, not chartreuse, cerise, or hot pink by designer dye.
- A deserted arbor near the sand offered shade and close-cropped grass.
- Brennan ran his fingers thru his close-cropped hair.
- Obviously, a comb had not been near his close-cropped hair in days.
- He is a sneering blond man, with close-cropped hair, and a muscular build.
- A young man with close-cropped hair stuck his head out and said gruffly, ‘Mr. Blowfish will see you now.’
- She first hit screens at age 21 in 1986 as a bleach-blonde punkette with close-cropped hair and a taste for unruly eye makeup.
- With his close-cropped silver hair, aquiline nose, and steel-gray eyes, Williamson looks every bit the wizard, in a Clive Barker-movie sort of way.
- His close-cropped hair is tidier than the thinning, wispy strands he regularly pulls off his face in court.
- At 6 foot 1 with close-cropped hair, Kelli Simpkins has what she calls ‘a masculine presence.’
- Deep-voiced, with close-cropped gray hair and a short beard, Dostum looked Nash in the eye as he spoke.
- He has the body of a soldier and the face of a statue, with a strong, tall body, blonde, close-cropped hair and nearly clear blue eyes.
- With his smart clothes, close-cropped blond hair and remarkable self-assurance, Keating is more reminiscent of William Hague.
- Matthew was 5ft 5ins tall, slim, with close-cropped hair and was wearing blue jeans, a navy sweatshirt and black trainers.
- He described the man as 20-30 years old, of athletic build, with close-cropped black hair and wearing dark clothing.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.