In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Three Englishmen fell dead on the bridge, and nine were injured badly by the close-range fire.
- The drive for the clinching score began from a close-range lineout.
- The hosts made a brisk start and had an opportunity to open the scoring inside two minutes with a close-range penalty award.
- He scored his first point and then went close to getting another goal but his close-range effort came back off the post.
- Delaney finished the scoring for the half with a close-range point and that was that.
- It is also equipped with a close-range weapon at the far end of the barrel.
- This allowed him to knock the ball across to O'Connor, who slid a close-range shot into the net.
- Third, under stress of a sudden close-range attack, most people respond with just their strong hand.
- He scored his second, and fifth of the campaign, with a close-range shot in the 67th minute
- Just before half time, she made it 4-0 with a close-range effort.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.