In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cubo del carbón masculino
- But kids had much fun fighting over who was to wash-up, change napkins, make beds, peel spuds, run errands, chop firewood, fill the coal scuttle, and black lead the grate.
- In the front room is a scattering of copper bowls of various sizes, copper coal scuttles, metal templates and copper sheets.
- The document listed coal scuttles, pokers, grates, and fenders, but only one set of andirons.
- Glad to read you won't have to fight with the coal scuttle anymore.
- Naturally it has the heritage decor that comes with the genre: dark wood, theatrical red, brazenly swirly carpets, brass coal scuttles and Quality Street faux Victoriana prints.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.