In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- As soon as she reached the Nurse's Station, she gathered up her things and slung her purse over her shoulder, accidentally knocking over a coat stand by the exit.
- There's an empty fish tank built into the cement block wall on your immediate right, a coatrack and umbrella stand on the left.
- ‘Hey, princess,’ Lyle greeted Alisha, hugging her when he reached where she was standing by the coatracks.
- She smiles warmly and leans her mop against the coat stand.
- The clank of our umbrellas as we hook them round the coat stand is shocking, like something clinking on a Church floor during prayer.
- Loretta got to her feet and walked over to the coat stand.
- Cursing herself for lacking anything to protect herself with, she spied an umbrella sitting next to the coat stand.
- He takes off his coat, draping it over an old-fashioned brass coatrack.
- Noticing that he was lacking his overcoat, she remembered her place and turned towards the mahogany coat stand that stood in the corner of the room.
- Leo stood and walked towards the door, taking his jacket off the coat stand.
- Placing his cape on the coat stand by the door, Rupert walked through the living room.
- He removed his heavy cloak and placed it on the coat stand by the door, revealing his face for the first time to the four of them.
- In addition to tables and chairs the Merklens made cheval mirrors, umbrella stands, coat stands, hat racks, mirrors, and the ubiquitous Victorian pedestal.
- Richter was out of the door in a flash, almost toppling the coat stand as he energetically wrenched his overcoat from it's wooden knob.
- She padded through to the living room and to the coat stand.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.