In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He just untied the pack mule from its tie to the back of the cob's saddle and led him along the cobblestone path.
- The head groom lent him a large, strong, dappled grey cob named Trojan.
- He owns a pair of cobs which pull the Romany caravan he built himself, and when the mood takes him they take to the road.
- Rowan, a five-year-old cob and shire cross who is 16 hands tall, was trapped for six hours in a water-filled ditch at a farm.
- The judge said: ‘This is a superb cob and a worthy champion.’
1.2(male swan)cisne macho masculino
- She said, ‘This was a large, healthy, handsome cob who was hit by a motorist and died with multiple injuries.’
- There are ducks and cranes, and every few miles a cob and pen circle as only swans can in their own territory.
- The male swan, or cob was unable to free itself for three days after a fishing hook became embedded in its leg and the fishing line got wrapped around it.
- The founding member of the organisation said a male cob was mowed down as it crossed the road.
- My wife and our Labrador were attacked by a cob today, and although no physical harm was done they were both terrified.
2corncobmazorca (de maíz) femeninochoclo masculino América del Surelote masculino México América Central
3Britanico(loaf)pan (redondo) masculino
- This year it was his crusty and soft rolls, Chelsea buns, and large crusty cobs which caught the adjudicator's eye resulting in a cache of trophies.
- This is a sort of British chowder, which is lovely eaten with a crusty cob, heavily spread with British butter.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.