In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- For this one we will include everything: coin-ops, PC games, and the new stuff as well as old school.
- Taito were once the king of coin-ops: they created so many classic games, usually in the mould of the cutesy platformer.
- Each image represents a a coin-op arcade game from the 80's.
- For now, to lighten my mood up a little, tell me your favorite arcade games (not arcade games transferred to consoles, but real coin-op games, including pinball).
- But we all know the stick the Saturn had to take, so it was even more pleasing to see what a good job had been made of scaling down the bells and whistles of the incredible coin-op.
- Like all of the early coin-ops Frogger was a success outside the arcade, the attraction of having a little frog as a hero was enough to make the game a big success.
- Recoloring is a bit of a trick I've never ventured to but some dry cleaners or coin-op cleaners still do.
- I'm not talking about Die Hard Trilogy from Acclaim, but the coin-op from Sega.
- Although sales have remained stable at about 10,000 units a year, the coin-op business has been on a downward trajectory for years.
- Recently, Midway proclaimed that even they were finding the arcade coin-op market too tough to consider it a viable platform.
- Paying for coin-op washing and drying breaks you of the toss-it-in-the-dryer habit.
- There's one of those coin-op cars you used to see outside of Ben Franklin, although this one is English.
- The whole game is punctuated by some upbeat music that seemed to find its origins from the coin-op arcades.
- The company started off developing coin-op games, Thunderboats and Top Down Racer.
- Here at last is a superhero who not only washes his costume at a cruddy coin-op Laundromat, but has his socks ruined when the red and blue colors of his costume run.
- MLB Slugfest was originally scheduled to be released as a coin-op a couple of years ago.
- Operators alike will enjoy this machine because it gives them an affordable game with a small footprint that packs in the best horse racing experience available in coin-op.
- There's an irony here: Bushnell's first great brainchild, Pong, revolutionized coin-op gaming partly because a video screen allows far more gaming possibilities than a pinball table.
- Although the condition in which the folks found the business at the end of the day often sent them into a swivet, the places did turn a nice profit. It wasn't long before Papa bought the other two local coin-ops.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.