In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The Italian sandwich filled with cold cuts is a ‘hero’ in New York, a ‘hoagie’ in Philadelphia and a ‘sub’ in Washington.
- Next is a cold section with a ham salad, a garden salad, ham and salami cold cuts, and an egg salad.
- In the meat category, fish and beans were less popular, while cheese, meat, poultry, hot dogs, and cold cuts were among the foods regularly consumed.
- Roast beef, ham, turkey; any cold cuts were well within his ability.
- A restaurant should be required to post a warning when their roast beef dip is made with cheap cold cuts.
- Well mom happened to be my teacher so she made me a sandwich using her stash of cold cuts.
- Pork products such as bacon, ham, spare ribs, chops, and various cold cuts are also favorites of the Romanians.
- Before heading out to dinner, the recruits waited for the Auburn coaches in the hotel lobby, where a spread of shrimp, cheeses, cold cuts and fruits awaited.
- The most simple dish was a plate of chorizo, ham and cheese, an assortment of cold cuts garnished with pickles.
- Listeria, which can cause fatal blood poisoning, miscarriages in pregnant women and meningitis, is believed to spread through ready-to-eat foods such as hot dogs, luncheon meats or cold cuts.
- Researchers studying both pre-menopausal and post-menopausal women found the former group had a higher incidence of cancer when they ate processed meats including cold cuts, hot dogs and bacon.
- Serve cooked vegetables with beef or chicken fondue (as above) or with cold cuts such as ham, salami and cheese and bread.
- An interesting selection of cold cuts included jelly fish with sesame, pork knuckle and beef.
- Decisions, decisions: an extra hour of riding, or steak instead of cold cuts?
- Then he made himself a snack of three packs of cold cuts, a loaf of bread, half a kilo of jalapeno-jack cheese, and two liters of milk, before heading down to the sub-basement for some tactical exercises.
- Once I've completed that, I move onto setting out snacks onto a platter for them to eat during their ‘cuts’ in filming, crackers, cheese, cold cuts, just your usual things.
- These are found mostly in meat and dairy products such as full-fat milk, yogurt, beef and cold cuts.
- These studies also have documented an association between ready-to-eat foods (e.g., hot dogs and cold cuts from delicatessen counters) and listeriosis.
- Try salty, spicy or smoked meats, such as ham, sausage, cold cuts or wieners.
- Stuff wheat bread with lean cold cuts such as turkey, ham or roast beef, then add tomatoes, lettuce and peppers to give your child a healthy serving of vegetables.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.