In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1colono masculinocolona femenino
- They were introduced late in the nineteenth century by colonists alarmed by the spread of rabbits and hares.
- Attempts by Spanish and French colonists to establish settlements were unsuccessful.
- Why not recall the humanitarianism of William Penn, an early colonist who made peace with the Delaware Indians instead of warring on them, as other colonial leaders were doing?
- Thanks to his diplomacy the arrival of the colonists from France did not develop into an major incident.
- Each colonist has to pay his own passage and have £50 in the bank.
- By the spring of 1775, political resistance gave way to violence as war between the British and colonists broke out.
- Most Sierra Leonean colonists, for instance, did not come from America.
- The only time colonists want to talk to members of an indigenous population is when they are giving orders to the natives.
- Earlier in our journey, we'd passed a signpost for Colonia Suiza, a town settled by colonists from Switzerland.
- During the early days of settlement the colonists were constantly inventing things.
- He says Britain should be made to compensate white farmers because colonists originally stole the land.
- In the years following the Great War land was taken away from the inhabitants and given to colonists.
- When the British ordered them to disperse the colonists fired back at the British soldiers.
- What makes it so ironic is that most of these colonists are of Scottish ancestry.
- Somewhere in the region of 100 colonists arrived in this hot, humid, swampy atmosphere in 1607.
- There was thus quite a strong drive among colonists to transplant the habits of their homelands wholesale and even impose them on others.
- Two hundred and three families were selected to become Matanuska Valley colonists.
- The colonists had no say in decisions made in the English parliament.
- The war began when colonists from Massachusetts Bay began pushing into territory claimed by these people.
- When the colonists arrived, language was one of the first targets.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.