In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- As a colorist he is generally restrained, but, in these paintings, startling reds, golden yellow and vibrant green enliven his palette.
- I showed them examples of artists known as colorists, Paul Gauguin and Franz Marc, so they could see how one might choose to manipulate the viewer's eye.
- Marc Chagall, who died in 1985 at the age of 98, is considered to be one of the twentieth century's great masters and sophisticated colourists.
- He is evident here, too, as a distinctive colourist, preferring quieter pinks, violets and yellows to the bolder oranges, reds, greens and blues of Bellini and Titian.
- Moon was a sophisticated colorist exploring what possibilities presented themselves within each painting.
- A colorist makes his presence known even in a single charcoal drawing.
- He was the greatest colourist since Matisse.
- The Berry-Hill exhibition confirmed Hartley as an extraordinary colorist.
- She too was a pupil of Matisse and is regarded as one of the finest colourists among Swedish artists of her generation.
- After early experiments with ink drawing, he revealed himself as a committed colorist.
- A strong colorist, she seemingly delights in bold juxtapositions.
- Over the years he has been described as an abstract expressionist, a surrealist and a colourist, but he is not quite any of these things.
- His simple yet remarkably efficient and original technique of pictorial production combined with his gifts as a colorist make this a highly rewarding series of pictures.
- McGraw, who has made gouache a specialty, is a marvelous colorist in the medium.
- But he drew greater inspiration from studying the old masters in the Louvre, in particular such colourists as Rubens and Veronese.
- No painter who has been labelled ‘baroque’ has surpassed Rubens, the supreme colourist.
- Not all colorists worked with artists as eminent as Dürer.
- For the last 20 years, he has been renowned in Holland as a colorist.
- She likes to call herself a colorist, and one look at her landscape paintings will explain why.
- As a colorist, Vicki's understanding of color theory runs deep, but as an oil painter, her talent with color is exceptional.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.