In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(without color)incolorosin color
- Ethene is a colorless gas that can be collected from natural gas and crude oil.
- The distilled essential oil is colourless or tinged very pale yellow so it does not stain.
- At normal room temperatures and pressures ammonia exists as a colorless gas that is lighter than air and has a characteristic pungent odor.
- The rare gases are all colorless, odorless, and tasteless.
- When it leaves the still, tequila, like most spirits, is colorless.
- At room temperature and standard pressure ethers are colorless, neutral liquids with pleasant odors.
- At room temperature, formaldehyde is an extremely reactive colorless gas with a suffocating odor.
- At atmospheric temperatures, ozone is a colorless gas with an odor similar to chlorine that can usually be detected at a level of about 0.01 parts per million.
- Radon condenses to a clear, colorless liquid at its boiling point and then freezes to form a yellow, then orangish red solid.
- Because carbon dioxide is colorless, odorless and disperses immediately into the air, few realize how much spills out of tailpipes and smokestacks.
- Coconut oil is a colorless to pale brownish yellow oil with a melting point starting at 26 § C.
- Some other liquids may be clear and colorless, but water is unique!
- In its pure state, nicotine is a colorless, oily, acrid liquid.
- This colorless, solid cream works to temporarily fill in lines and large pores, and leaves a soft, opalescent finish that feels very silky.
- Radon is a naturally occurring colourless, odourless gas that is emitted from rocks containing minerals rich in the transuranic elements.
- Carbon monoxide injuries and deaths occur when levels of the tasteless, odorless and colorless gas build up in poorly ventilated spaces where a carbon-based fuel is burned.
- Phosphine, generated from aluminum phosphide and water, is a highly toxic, colorless gas with a fishy or garlic-like odor.
- Sarin is a clear, colorless, and tasteless liquid that has no odor in its pure form.
- Chemically, nitrous oxide is a colorless gas with a slightly sweet odor and no appreciable taste at normal ambient temperature and pressure.
- Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can poison you if you breathe too much of it.
- It is a colourless gas produced by the decay of organic matter such as raw sewage, oils, and salt water.
- Carbon monoxide is colourless and odourless, and is produced when gas fails to burn completely.
2(dull)(life/person) anodino(person/life) gris
- Everything is a uniform shade of grey, built out of old power station parts and conduits, populated by drab, colourless people.
- It's so colourless, so dull, so hellish here, a very poor substitute for what I've lost.
- Depression is not beautiful and romantic; it's dismal and colourless and sad and boring.
- Life without restriction is, colorless, jaded, and uninspired.
- Did this man whose entire life has been spent as an office worker in dull and colorless businesses in rural Pennsylvania just suddenly have a Walter Mitty fantasy that happened to come true?
- Unlike many of the colourless characters in golf, there is much more to him than putting and winning tournaments.
- Beyond that, her soprano is strangely colorless, and her projection of the text flat and matter-of-fact.
- His colorless mediocrity exemplifies why I lost interest in the team.
- A couple of seasons of too much talk, too many colorless characters, and not enough action have left the show in limbo.
- Visually, it's as exciting as a soap opera: flat and colourless.
- This does not mean that his account is bland and colourless, but he is striving for scholarly objectivity and clarity as far as that is possible under the circumstances.
- They have a talented squad, but their performances are so often colourless and mediocre.
- She knew that without Davie her world would be colorless and dull.
- The country has had a coalition government of right and left parties for some time, which has increasingly been criticised for being too colourless and weak.
- What we saw that day was colourless, dull and unimaginative.
- Seldom in world history can so much power have been wielded by such an apparently colourless character.
- Worse, his singing continues to be monotonously loud and colorless, without a trace of grace, style, or musical shape.
- His family life was dreary; his married life colourless.
- It has been characterised as an era of colourless politicians, ill-judged initiatives in foreign policy, tentative reforms, parliamentary corruption, and economic weakness.
- The world seemed dull and colorless, and gray as Paula's despairing heart.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.