In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(for hair)peine masculinopeinilla femenino América Latinapeineta femenino Chileto go over sth with a fine-tooth comb — examinar / revisar algo minuciosamente / con lupa
- Adorn your new curls with your favorite accessories such as headbands, jeweled side combs or similar.
- I dressed quickly in the clothes set out and I ran a wooden comb through my long dark hair.
- Some kind of comb was dragged through my hair, leaving a burning path along my scalp.
- Another woman eats an ice cream as her young daughter eyes the sparkly hair bobbles and shiny combs in a shop window.
- Soak hair-care items like combs, barrettes, hair ties or bands, headbands, and brushes in rubbing alcohol or medicated shampoo for 1 hour.
- After breaking another tooth off of my comb, I realized that my hair was the boss.
- A large tortoiseshell comb in her hair saved her life.
- A man looked at him through a mirror in the bathroom, comb in hand.
- Jeweled combs also made a huge splash at the Golden Globes.
- ‘Finished,’ I called out and pulled the gold combs out of my hair as he turned back to face me.
- Her hair was swept back with jeweled silver combs and diamond-stud hair pins into a smooth chignon.
- She sprayed perfume around herself into the air, and pinned the crystal combs into her hair.
- He took out his pocket comb and ran it through his thinning hair.
- I ran a comb through my own hair and stared dejectedly at my reflection.
- He slowly reached up his hand to brush away the wet hair that was clinging to her face, escaped from the hair combs which had been lost in the depths of the water.
- He was going to curl my short auburn hair and put it up in combs so the ringlets would lay all over the place.
- On top were two simple silver combs to pull your hair back.
- I took the fine toothed comb and skimmed my hair.
- Otherwise, find a comb with very fine teeth: the space between the teeth of the comb should be no more than 0.3 mm.
- She grabbed her comb and a hair tie then put her thick, black hair into a high ponytail.
- This involves lifting the hair with a metal comb and burning off the ends with a lighted taper.
- She stood behind her mother, ivory comb in hand, brushing through the voluminous red hair.
- He stumbled to the bathroom, brushed his teeth, and ran a wet comb through his hair.
- Besides the explosion of headbands and jeweled hair combs, watch for a continual rise in the popularity of all types of silk and couture hair flowers.
- Vincent sat on her bed and watched her, captivated, as she stood before the mirror, adjusting the comb in her disheveled hair.
- She pulled a comb out of her pocket and started to brush my hair.
- She wasn't wearing anything that could be considered feminine except maybe her hair comb.
- No hats, combs, kerchiefs or anything but hair should be on your head.
- Use a wide toothed comb to distribute the mixture through the hair.
- However, combing through the hair with a louse comb and examining the teeth of the comb for living lice detects more cases than direct visualization alone.
- Sighing, I grabbed a comb and began untangling the knots in my black hair.
- Try coating the hair with mineral oil and using a special nit comb to remove them more easily.
- I stood in the mirror, dragging the comb through my neatly trimmed hair.
- These are worn with mantillas (lacy scarves worn over the hair and shoulders), long earrings, and hair ornaments such as combs or flowers.
- She reached up and pulled the combs from her hair.
- Grimacing, she pulled the comb through her tangled mass of long brown hair.
- I quickly brushed my teeth and ran a comb through my hair.
- Towel dry the hair and use a wide toothed comb or pick to untangle.
1.2(worn in hair)peineta femenino
2(act)your hair needs a good comb — tienes que peinarte bien
- give your hair a quick comb — date una peinada
- I've taken to wearing baseball caps instead of having a slight comb in the morning.
- With a quick comb of her hair, and the applying of a light coat of make-up and a flowery fragrance, she was out the door.
- Giving my hair a quick comb through with my fingers I turned around to see that the door was open.
3(for disentangling fibres)carda femenino
- If a comb was used, this would be to get the fibres parallel.
4(on bird)cresta femenino
- A new wave of face-smoothing shots derived from a variety of substances, including rooster combs and newborn foreskin, are expected to hit the market soon.
- The finely woven patterns in the feathers and wings, combs and waddles, beaks and tails, run in three directions: horizontally, vertically and diagonally.
- There are seven distinctive types of combs alone on chickens - rose, strawberry, single, cushion, buttercup, pea, and V-shaped, in case you were wondering.
- For instance, the comb of a male jungle fowl deteriorates when the bird is infested with a gut parasite, but the parasite has no effect on its plumage.
- At a given moment two observers independently ranked a specific male comb size.
- The female's plumage is overall gray-brown and the male appears similar, although he has orange-yellow combs over the eyes and light gray tail feathers.
- As in other grouse species, red grouse combs are larger and brighter in males, and their size is testosterone-dependent.
- And instead of pheromones, they depend on beautiful feathers and combs to attract mates.
- Cracids may have a casque, hard comb, wattle or fleshy knob at the base of the bill.
- My shadow was moderately tall and skinny, rat's nest hair silhouetted like a rooster's comb.
- However, although males can control comb size, they cannot hide their combs completely.
- For example, a rooster's comb contains a hyaluronic acid that can be injected into your face to smooth those wrinkles.
- The combs and neck sacs of males become enlarged during the breeding season.
- They get the name rooster because the dorsal fin looks similar to the comb on a cockerel's head.
- Males with longer combs are preferred as mates and are more likely to win in aggressive encounters, so we wanted to see if changes in immune status were reflected in comb length or other ornamental characters.
- Maternal mass was correlated with male offspring mass and comb length.
- Expression of combs and wattles is directly connected to androgen production, whereas feather ornament size seldom depends on current levels of testosterone secretion.
- Resplendent in bright orange, black and red, his comb, wattles and ear lobes have been shorn off.
5honeycombpanal masculinohoney on the comb — miel con un trozo de panal femenino
1(pass a comb through)to comb sb's hair — peinar a algn
- to comb one's hair — peinarse
3(search)(area/field) peinar(field/area) rastrear(archives/files) rebuscar ento comb sth for sth
- they combed the area for survivors/clues — peinaron / rastrearon la zona en busca de supervivientes/ pistas
- I combed the newspaper for the story — repasé el periódico de arriba abajo buscando el artículo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.