In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Marceau, wearing his uniform as a commandant in the French Army reserves, was the master of ceremonies.
- From a more practical point of view, several commandants have pushed the Marine Corps not only to educate but also to train Marines for the new challenges of complex crises and emergencies.
- Jon Voight, as the camp commandant, or second in command under the mean spirited Warden, overacts to a point of absurdity.
- Its primary mission is to provide music for the president of the United States and the commandant of the Marine Corps.
- Once again, his effectiveness as a camp commandant came to the fore.
- The group commandant, Colonel S.Kumar, visited the spot on Saturday and witnessed the cadets fly with enthusiasm.
- In the summer of 1925, he was transferred to a light-bomber squadron as assistant to the airfield commandant.
- Officers' representatives have consistently complained about a shortfall among commandants and captains and there is usually a high drop out rate among recruits.
- Among the last six commandants of the Army War College, for example, there have been a Rhodes Scholar, a published historian, a published military educator and two Ph.D.s who have also published.
- I opened the gates, showing correct papers to the camp commandant on the way out.
- There are 16 female commandants and 38 captains in the army, two female captains in the air corps, and six in the naval service.
- The commandant said many special officers felt the same, but acknowledged that some who joined with a view to becoming career officers might feel differently.
- Promoted to brigadier general in 1907, he then became commandant of the Staff College.
- These sources provide us with the names and ranks of the fort's commandants and their military and personal ambitions.
- But a new book reveals the incredible secret that the camp commandant hid from his SS comrades throughout the war.
- Once the war was over, they continued to identify with the most defiant commandants and generals.
- One was the camp commandant, who was responsible for the organisation of the camp.
- He later served as commandant of the Regimental Officer Academy and the deputy commander of the U.S. Army Signal Command.
- At first, the conquered territories were administered by military commandants.
- He was placed on the commandant's list on completing the Armor Officer Basic Course in 1997.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.