In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1masculino comitéfemenino comisiónfemenino comisión(chair/member/meeting) del comité(meeting/chair/member) de la comisiónto be on a committee — ser miembro de un comité / una comisión
- it was discussed in committee — se discutió en un comité
- the executive committee — el comité ejecutivo
- committee room — sala de reuniones del comité/de la comisión
- the bill is at committee stage — el proyecto de ley está siendo estudiado por una comisión parlamentaria
- Members of the carnival committee scour Europe for the best street performers.
- The committee also noted that members cannot benefit financially from the trust.
- Moreover, it should be noted that other parliamentary committees can also play a role in the supervision of legislation.
- After a first year of finding their feet, the parliamentary committees are well placed to make key contributions to Scotland's governance.
- An emergency meeting of the committee members met last Friday to decide what action to take.
- The committee members attended a function in the Civic Offices last Friday night.
- Area committee members will also visit the streets before their next meeting.
- She even alleged he tried to prevent her from appearing before key parliamentary committees on the accounting mess.
- However, a Bill may be examined in a Committee of the Whole House.
- I was a member of the committee that looked at the restructuring of the producer boards.
- The members of the committee will have to go back and talk about the issue until they can come to a decision.
- The screens will allow passers-by to see what is going on inside the debating chamber of the Parliament and its committees.
- He agreed with much Mr Kearley had said, and would be prepared to consider amendments in committee.
- Full credit to the members of the organising committee who worked so hard to make the night such a success.
- The two relevant parliamentary committees that have so far considered it have recommended that Berry is given the independent inquiry he seeks.
- I therefore intend to move a Supplementary Order Paper at the Committee of the whole House to replace that clause and to clarify the intent of the original clause.
- However, Parliamentary committees have been established in the UK to examine proposed European legislation and other community matters.
- The new organization set up a parliamentary committee in 1871 to lobby on legislation.
- It was a highly successful event and a credit to the organisers and committee members.
- If no one objects, it will be discussed in further detail in committee, before moving on to the House of Commons.
- Anyone interested in joining the show committee can contact any committee member for information.
- Because the Scottish parliament has no second chamber, the committees must act as an even-handed forum to ensure that legislation is fair and foolproof.
- Also, many thanks to all the committee members who generously gave of their time.
- It was reasonable to defend the committee's reasoning, although not all defences found favour.
- A special word of thanks to all the committee members who work tirelessly behind the scenes.
- I am a member of that committee, and I am sure that we will give the bill the attention it deserves.
- The opposition, however, has proposed amendments that contradict the parliamentary joint committees recommendations.
- Leaving judgement to a parliamentary committee invites a decision on party lines.
- All families who use our services, and past committee members and staff are welcome.
- Those will be debated at school board finance committee meetings over the next three months.
- I will not ask the Minister about them now, because I know the time will come during the select committee stage and the Committee of the whole House.
- Identical reports might elicit different responses from different committees.
- The Fraud Bill has now been committed to a Committee of the Whole House.
- As the committee members agreed, the office has put out some very effective reports.
- That was a decision made by the Committee of the whole House.
- This is a measure that that Minister will need to justify clause by clause to the House and to the Committee of the whole House as she insists on taking this legislation through all its stages over the next day or two.
- Members wishing to take part in first league please notify any committee member.
- People wishing to join the draw should contact any committee member of the club.
- He has given evidence to numerous parliamentary committees.
- Instead of having formal legislative powers, like the House of Lords, he suggested parliamentary committees could refer questions to the advisory panel.
- The Committee of the whole House then considers the bill.
- At a meeting of the planning committee this week, members voted whether to take out a commitment order.
- Mr Merrick thanked all the festival volunteers and the members of the various committees who organised different events.
- Shouldn't one of the parliament's committees investigate this total waste of money?
- Another way of looking at the point raised in committee is that if the bill is to benefit the language then it will cost money.
- He is now urging the parliament's powerful environment committee to mount an investigation.
- Several committees of the European Parliament had recommended such a course of action before any agreement was concluded.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.