In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cuerda o cadena de la cual se tira para que se frene en una emergencia
- British Transport Police received a report that a man had pulled the communication cord and the train stopped on the King Edward Rail Bridge.
- In her case it was the communication cord on which she was supposed to pull to indicate distress.
- We tackled these by encouraging passengers to pull the communication cord whenever they saw a crime and offering a reward of £1,000 each time they did.
- The train is passing a narrow peninsula of land, and on sudden impulse he pulls the communication cord and the train grinds to a halt.
- The hat blew out of the window, whereupon he pulled the communication cord.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.