In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(Eucharist)Holy Communion — la Santa / Sagrada Comunión
- to take Communion — recibir la comunión / la eucaristía
- before noun communion cup — cáliz
- communion rail — comulgatorio
- [as modifier] communion service — comunión
- He courageously describes the discrimination and harm often visited upon one of Christianity's oldest communions - the Coptic Church.
- In some communions the clergy are the sole enunciators of Scripture.
- The Communion is made up of some thirty-eight provinces, most of which are in the Third World.
- The advert says, ‘We are Christians, from different communions.’
- In a Communion made up of many different churches, discernment is required to identify what in any particular context are the crucial issues for the life of the Church.
- The king denied papal authority over England, and the Anglican Communion was born.
- This document still serves as a primary point of reference for Anglican dialogue with other Christian communions.
- It was once alleged that the provinces in the Communion were held together by the Book of Common Prayer.
- It is possible, and it certainly is to be hoped, that the church as the worldwide communion of Anglican churches is presently undergoing renewal and reinvention.
- Compared with the Book of Common Prayer, modern prayer books in the Anglican Communion are grossly overweight.
- Today, the major Christian communions largely support democracy, even while necessarily retaining the right to criticize democratic decisions in the name of religious truth claims.
- This celebration of the relationship between two pilgrimage cathedrals was also a sign of mutual respect and affection between our two communions.
- He is, he insisted, Anglican and part of the ecclesial communion called Anglicanism.
- The First World War boosted pacifism among Baptists as well as among other Christian communions.
- How far can membership of a Communion of churches help a local church to discern what are the crucial issues in its own situation?
- Catholics, Orthodox and some older Protestant communions hold that membership in a church is an intrinsic feature of any relationship with God.
- The Alpha course is eclectic in its choice of quotes from the various religious communions.
2formal(exchange of ideas, fellowship)comunión femenino
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.