In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1condena a prestar servicios comunitarios femenino
- The government, ministers might say, is already convinced of the value of community sentences.
- The day ended with most defendants being fined or given community sentences.
- Appearing to take a tough line on dangerous offenders may have been a trade-off for community sentences.
- The Government wants magistrates to hand out more community sentences.
- The measures follow a public outcry over failures to monitor released prisoners or to manage offenders serving community sentences who went on to kill.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.