In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He went on to build an electric motor in 1832 and invented the commutator, an integral part of most modern electric motors.
- One of the places you need them is in modern small motors which don't have a commutator.
- It may also increase efficiency of machines as there won't be frictional effects of brushes, commutators, etc, on the motor itself.
- The brushes conduct electricity to the commutator.
- You can see that the commutator is simply a pair of plates attached to the axle.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.