In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Can we predict the temperature profile from the known geometry and heat conduction of water?
- The thermal emissions come to the surface through heat conduction in a few milliseconds as a function of the pulse energy and the synchronized signal capture.
- Electrical wiring and telephone lines can transmit such signals by conduction; walls can vibrate subtly, as can pipes, beams, ducts, and the like.
- The disk is cooled primarily by conduction across the gap region, which can be filled with high-thermal-conductivity gases like helium.
- The successive hops clearly do not have to involve an individually tagged proton; in this respect, proton currents resemble electrical conduction in a conductor.
- A mixture optimized for a single property, such as heat conduction, looks like blobs of one material suspended in another.
- There are four processes by which the body rids itself of excess heat: conduction, convection, radiation, and evaporation.
- Their research shows that the surfactant layer must be analyzed in terms of its vibrational couplings, rather than by ordinary heat conduction.
- ‘This is opposite of what you would think in terms of simple and ordinary heat conduction,’ Dlott said.
- Electrical conduction is the net motion of electric charge, and it cannot take place without the motion of matter on some scale.
- A hot copper cube in contact with a cold iron cube would, for example, heat it primarily by conduction.
- Vanadium-vanadium bonds are stable below the transition temperature, which ‘lock’ the electrons and prevent conduction.
- Heat gain or loss results from four heat exchange processes - convection, conduction, radiation and evaporation.
- Under equal electrochemical potential gradients, conduction of protons across ion channels occurs at a rate typically an order-of-magnitude higher than that of other small ions.
- Better heat conduction allows cooler internal operating temperature and hence less cracking and longer life.
- In solids that conduct electricity, heat conduction is further enhanced by the drift of free electrons.
- Heat will only leave the container by radiation, convection and conduction if the temperature of the container is higher than the surroundings.
- Now physicists at Northwestern University show that, using the fact that electrons carry heat as well as charge, the conduction of heat may be similarly tuned.
- This is the concept behind electrical conduction.
- So far, electron conduction has only been found in a few, high electron-affinity organic semiconductors, until now.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.