In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1azúcar glas(é) masculinoazúcar flor masculino Chileazúcar en polvo masculino Colombiaazúcar impalpable masculino Río de la Plata
- Prepare the glaze: put the confectioner's sugar in a small bowl, and pour in some lemon juice, a little at a time, whisking until the glaze gets to the right consistency, thick and syrupy.
- The top-right corner of the plate had been dusted with confectioner's sugar in a rectangular pattern, and caramel sauce had been deposited in a line of dots of increasing size, parallel to the cake.
- Dust the top with confectioner's sugar if desired - and if it's not meant to be a birthday cake!
- Their capsicums or bell peppers are merely our sweet peppers, scallions are our spring onions, shrimps are our prawns, and confectioner's sugar is our icing sugar.
- ‘This cake is so moist and delectable that a dusting of confectioner's sugar is all you need to top it,’ he says.
- Pour about two tablespoons of confectioner's sugar in a small bowl.
- Dust with confectioner's sugar just before serving, warm, at room temperature or cold.
- For dessert we had the orange zagora, a simple little treat, but tasty: orange slices powdered with cinnamon and confectioner's sugar.
- Those crispy little cookies, pink and rectangular with a dusting of confectioner's sugar, are a specialty from Reims, the largest city in the region of Champagne.
- The fondness of the British for this substance is illustrated by the fact that confectioner's sugar, a fine white powder, is known as icing sugar in Britain.
- Sieve confectioner's sugar all over the surface.
- Homemade marshmallows are dusted with confectioner's sugar and cut in squares.
- Place a scoop of vanilla ice-cream in the center of each plate, surround with the warm gnocchi and sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 pound confectioner's sugar with 3 egg whites and 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar.
- Sift confectioner's sugar over the top of the cake and serve warm.
- The ingredients are simple: butter, sour cream, baking soda, flour, sea salt, sugar, almond paste, 4 egg yolks, almond extract and confectioner's sugar for dusting.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.