In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- My own views, however, cannot be solely centred around incidents which occur in the constabulary's force area.
- ‘Operation Cobra’ sounds like a plot by undercover CIA operatives to assassinate a Central American despot, rather than the local constabulary's crackdown on car thieves.
- A spokesman for Lancashire constabulary says a team of officers and family liaison officers are on standby just in case.
- In any event, the task of searching the police national computer fell to Cambridgeshire constabulary.
- But a spokeswoman for Cheshire constabulary, which had officers at the site, said the number was nearer 14.
- Our hard work and patience finally paid off and I would like to thank my colleagues, and the many officers from other constabularies who assisted us.
- I currently work for a UK county constabulary dealing with a mix of emergency calls and general enquiries.
- And many lower officers and constabulary had full sympathy with the marauding mobs.
- If 3 qualified persons cannot be found in any constabulary, candidates may be elected from other constabularies.
- I'm a policewoman with Dumfries and Galloway constabulary, so I'm used to doing driving courses and being around cars.
- The Queen has a sense of humour - her Queensland constabulary obviously doesn't.
- Wondering why the full bus then hadn't moved, we realised that we were being encircled by the Lancashire local constabulary, ‘police evidence gatherers’ decked out in riot gear, and mounted police.
- Three police dogs are in training with the county's constabulary to wear new lightweight head harnesses fitted with small cameras.
- Like other police forces, Wiltshire constabulary is not setting up a special squad or unit to deal with possible hunting law infringements.
- This campaign by police constabularies across the country is the last chance for people to get rid of the weapons before the introduction of a minimum five-year jail sentence for illegal possession of prohibited firearms.
- The first bred the most popular constabulary in the world, a street police, unarmed, recruited from and accountable to its community.
- The orchestrated escort and the accompanying police violence in clearing the picket reflected the involvement of city based police, the local constabulary having been cooperative with the workers.
- West Yorkshire's special constabulary is recognised as being among the best in the country, and we are proud of that.
- The move comes as the Home Office completes plans to merge the county constabularies and reduce 43 police forces to about 15.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.