In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in beauty contest, quiz show) concursante femenino(for post, position) contendiente femenino(for post, position) candidato masculino(for post, position) candidata femeninoa Miss World contestant — una aspirante al título de Miss Mundo
- Each contestant gave a brief presentation, saying how much money they had raised for charity.
- After three or more contestants have strutted their stuff, the winner is decided by popular acclaim.
- All contestants took home a pizza plate and slicer and the winners won food processors.
- Once a contestant is eliminated the selection process is repeated, followed by a further set of questions.
- The applicants were then interviewed and tested for suitability and contestants selected.
- The ten heats over the next few weeks will play the part of selecting the contestants for the finals.
- After much paperwork and emailing, Monica was on her way to participating as a contestant.
- The 30-year old crooner was the oldest contestant in the sixth and last heat of the competition.
- The referees smiled and more often than not called out to the contestants to complete the race.
- In order to qualify, all 100 contestants on the shortlist have to answer the same question.
- The winner is a contestant which best exudes the qualities of today's modern rural woman.
- Each of the contestants were asked to pick one of eight envelopes presented to them.
- Just about every quiz show on television ends with some sort of vote to send a contestant packing.
- One's main anxiety is that neither of this year's sporting contestants are cricketers.
- And should you want to be a contestant, or rather a pair of contestants, just send an email here.
- According to reports, choosing a winner from the final three contestants was a hard task.
- Given the background music, the contestants have to identify the song and sing it.
- The contestants will be judged on technical skills as well as for smooth presentation.
- The evening went on as the contestants relaxed and restored their strained tissues.
- She was the only contestant from initial 10 applicants to arrive for the contest.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.