In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Paradoxically, the exhibition as a whole is enriched by its internal contradictions.
- As you can see there is a clear contradiction in these two statements.
- Prosecutors said, however, they found some contradictions in their statements.
- But there is a great contradiction between these chauvinistic ideas and what is happening in the village.
- Nevertheless, these internal contradictions never came to surface until 1989.
- The mass of contradictions in statements means someone is lying, he said.
- Such were the tensions and internal contradictions of his rather unhappy life that you feel relief for the man when he finally dies.
- It is possible that this movement's internal contradictions will cause an early collapse.
- The Hegelian dialectic attempts to grasp the totality of the system and argues that change occurs as a result of contradictions internal to that system.
- It is beset by contradictions in the statements of Ministers.
- Actually, there is no contradiction between those positions.
- It was full of misleading statements and contradictions.
- And the judge very obviously was struggling with the clear contradiction between those two ideas today.
- Political competition within the nobility interacted with the social and economic contradictions to produce violent internal conflict.
- Most likely, he saw and probably still sees no contradiction between the two objectives.
- Because even the idea of a contradiction between science and faith was predicated on a concept of faith as a kind of profane knowledge.
- Neither side has a monopoly on either good ideas or glaring contradictions.
- And the basic contradiction is the contradiction between the doing and the denial of doing, life and death.
- Such a coalition will melt down because of its own internal contradictions.
- If its existence is rejected, we reject the thing itself with all its predicates; and no question of contradiction can then arise.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.