In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The final movement has some pounding drums with trumpets and some more contrapuntal blending of melodic lines.
- The motets, however, represent the zenith of Brahms's contrapuntal art.
- Generally, they are more lyrical and less contrapuntal than their German counterparts.
- One finds this mirrored in the antiphonies between orchestral groups in a huge, highly contrapuntal gigue.
- This symphony is, if anything, contrapuntal, and the first movement a stunning exemplar.
- One would expect this in something like the early Passacaglia, a contrapuntal Baroque form in which a set of variations occurs over a repeating bass.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.