In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(participation, part played)contribución femeninoto make a contribution to sth — hacer una contribución a algo
- his contribution to the debate was most enlightening — su intervención en el debate fue muy instructiva
- Fiona does not appear to have made a major contribution to the children's emotional or physical development.
- There were other major individual contributions to this most entertaining of matches.
- It is recognised that this ban will have a major contribution in reducing the levels of this parameter.
- It is widely accepted by commentators that he has made a major contribution to the peace process.
- Does it celebrate his unique gifts and encourage the contribution he is more than eager to make?
- His work was therefore a major contribution to both geometry and to dynamics.
- Jack made a major contribution to life in this part of Roscommon over many years.
- Both made major contributions to the Irish team and are at the very top of their game.
- Tonight's awards highlight just some of the major contributions British Muslims make to our society.
- As a result, teams can fail to leverage the unique contributions each member may bring.
- The floods and prolonged hot weather this year made major contributions to the decline in grain production.
- This family has made a major contribution to our social, cultural and historic heritage.
- Thus the city should be brought to recognise his contribution to civic welfare.
- This redevelopment would enable the South Yorkshire area to make a major contribution to this growth target.
- The third topic to which Eisenstein made a major contribution was the theory of elliptic functions.
- Despite his major contribution to medical science, he died reviled, his name soon forgotten.
- Each can make different but important contributions to promoting sustainable development.
- We British have made three major contributions to culinary excellence.
- His six symphonies are coming to be regarded as a major contribution to the genre in the 20th century.
- All three students made a major contribution to the college's work to encourage good race relations in the town.
2(payment, donation)contribución femenino(to a fund) aportación femenino(to a fund) aporte masculino América Latina(to social security fund) cotización femenino(to social security fund) aporte masculino Río de la Plata(to social security fund) imposición femenino Chile
- However, anyone wishing to make a contribution to the fund can do so and it will be forwarded to head office.
- We rely entirely on voluntary contributions to keep more than 60 services running.
- Commercial banks will shift their contribution from the Fund to the institute.
- We have also agreed to an increase in our rent contribution as a result of the improvements.
- We want to do everything we can to narrow the gap and having a pay equity fund is a positive contribution in that regard.
- Nor will an imposed contribution result in hardship to an impoverished parent.
- Meanwhile, you have about six years in which to top up your private pension with additional voluntary contributions.
- He refused fees, but suggested instead a contribution to the research fund that he established.
- The group does not charge for its services, but many users make a voluntary contribution.
- Financial contributions from individuals funded office and printing expenses.
- Thanks to all the people who have made an annual contribution to this collection.
- It was a civil ceremony and afterwards we had a picnic where everyone brought along a food contribution of some sort.
- Unless attached to a mosque, they depended on voluntary contributions, tuition fees and free meals.
- Don't forget that there is a special collection box in each porch for contributions to the renovation fund.
- The membership decided to make two contributions to charities from funds raised.
- The organisation is a voluntary one, totally replying on contributions and fund raising.
- If the deficit has increased then we will have to increase our contribution to the fund as an employer.
- The survey shows a big increase in the contribution of direct payments to farm income.
- The centre would be funded through developers' contributions and additional lottery grants.
- You also have the option of making either regular payments or one-off contributions, or both.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.