In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It's likely to be close to a major conurbation with good road and rail links.
- ‘When Swindon was growing as a new town thousands of young couples were settled in areas to the west and east of the conurbation,’ said Coun Perkins.
- And we will need a pilot somewhere in the UK - probably in a major conurbation or region of the country.
- Great cities and conurbations are developed by visionaries who instill pride and optimism in their fellow citizens.
- This established a two-tier system of thirty-nine counties and six metropolitan counties for the major conurbations outside London.
- It states that in Africa, Asia and Latin America there are 600 million people living in squatter settlements around conurbations that lack any sanitation infrastructure.
- The area adjoins the Dublin conurbation, and is a designated green belt amenity and agricultural resource base.
- ‘They are frequently conurbations or city regions such as Amsterdam, Manchester, Singapore or Silicon Valley,’ he said.
- Each category of settlement - the hamlets, the villages, the towns, the cities, the conurbations - appears to have its own characteristic scale of distance.
- It is in the roads leading to the city centre and those carrying traffic past the major conurbation.
- Greater Milan is the largest conurbation in Italy (though Rome as a city is larger).
- The two reviews considered health authorities as the unit of analysis, but in cities or conurbations it makes sense to consider whole geographical areas.
- Developers are looking at big cities and Bradford is a large conurbation.
- Why are the turnover rates in these three conurbations higher in inner city areas and in teaching trusts and more acute in larger cities, particularly London?
- We can learn a great deal from the experience of other major conurbations across Europe.
- The almost relentless growth in property crime of recent decades has affected the whole country - rural areas, small towns, provincial cities, and major conurbations.
- Manchester is a major city at the heart of a large urban conurbation.
- Areas outside the major conurbations and the corridors linking them are still deprived of much necessary infrastructure.
- We were promised this super hospital, not just for the city, but for the whole conurbation, because that is what we need.
- The stars in the sky glowed with an ambience only seen outside the urban conurbations.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.