In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Now the council has convened a meeting for Monday night, which will hear opinions from the local community before deciding what to do.
- On March 8, 1945, he convened a meeting of magicians at the Mansion House.
- It's also the venue for computer classes as well as meetings convened by local sports clubs and political parties.
- An informal board meeting was convened in the aftermath and when no resolution could be reached, a formal meeting was held yesterday morning.
- Thus, a meeting convened by the finance secretary here today proved inconclusive.
- I was very angry and I demanded that the City Committee and the City Disciplinary Committee should convene a meeting to hear my report.
- The UN has convened a meeting in Geneva between Australia, Norway and Indonesia to discuss the idea.
- The chief minister said he has convened a meeting on Tuesday to review the various road projects of Bangalore.
- A meeting was convened to discuss possible ways to prevent total gridlock.
- The final version said only that Switzerland could consider convening such a meeting.
- Any decision taken by certain people without participating in the meeting convened by the government will not be complete.
- We now have a situation where a meeting is being convened by the police to establish just how the money can be found in order to re-issue the contract.
- The leaders of three religions A, B and C decided to convene a meeting to bring about peace.
- The forum convened the first public meeting on environmental pollution in Kerala in 1969.
- The Vice-Chancellor, by convening district-wise meeting of college principals, has provided them the opportunity to present their individual problems for prompt redressal.
- Later, the ousted members convened a meeting at a private club in the city.
- The mediator will usually meet with the opposing parties separately at first before convening a meeting where they are bought together.
- All nine members of the MPC attended the meeting convened by the governor, Sir Eddie George, yesterday morning.
- The Regional Library is grateful to the Ballina Shire Council for convening a special Meeting of their Finance Committee to receive a deputation from the Regional Library Committee.
- Over the years, the group has exerted influence on Bulgarian authorities by convening regular meetings with key government figures, and by providing state institutions with its analyses and proposals.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.