In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- There is convincing evidence in sociological literature that the search for solitude is not a luxury but a biological need.
- Trouble is, he sounds less than convincing talking up Europe.
- And strategy seems both clearer and more convincing than this time last year.
- Another person, confronted by apparently convincing evidence, may reasonably suspect something.
- The three specific instances behind the July 14 event are neither convincing nor compelling.
- Yet at no time has he made a clear and convincing case for his leadership, his vision for the country.
- There is no real convincing evidence for this, yet it was cited as one of the main anti-legalisation arguments for years.
- This study provides convincing evidence that upping our intake of fish oils is likely to offer considerable health benefits in the long term.
- He sounded matter-of-fact when he told us good news and somehow sounded very convincing when he came out with the not so good news as well.
- There is, as yet, no convincing archaeological evidence for tin exploitation in the west of England in the prehistoric period.
- She also talks to the school, but they don't sound very convincing.
- Don't you agree that the above sounds more convincing than spewing out black or white smoke?
- It needs to be seen to be believed - it is very convincing.
- For every serious argument against him, Mr. Pryor had a clear, convincing answer.
- The client agrees with Jonathan about confidence and how a convincing compliment from a hairdresser can make a real difference to the way you feel.
- The existence of a third standard of proof is well recognised in the United States in the form of the clear and convincing standard.
- It is unlikely that a figure will emerge in the next few months capable of posing a convincing challenge to the incumbent.
- There's fairly convincing anecdotal evidence that some personal electronic devices have interfered with systems.
- In one paper after another, he offered further, increasingly convincing evidence.
- Not all experts believed that yesterday's report was convincing proof that Scots are worse off than people south of the Border, however.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.