In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He was practically surrounded by copters loaded with heavily armed Secret Service agents who could ruin your day in a heartbeat.
- Blair set his aside and just looked out the window as the copter lifted off.
- The copter landed on Shikaku's private helicopter pad.
- The craft, which was very sleek and fairly small, made for a getaway as it dropped something from under it and a blue serge of energy twirled from the front of the craft and shot at one of the nearby news copters.
- Also before the retreat fire every single rocket launcher you have got at those damn copters, take as many out as possible then pull back.
- He strapped himself in next to me, and took my hand as the copter took off.
- The only aid they received was military rations and water bottles dropped by helicopters, after which the copters rapidly quit the scene.
- So I hear the copters overhead, and I see Chris dangling from one of them on a rope, he's going to drop into my house like some kind of superhero.
- The hovering news copters we'd heard earlier were now directly overhead and making so much racket that we had to shout.
- We already had a malfunction and we both tried to get the copter on the ground.
- Looking out of the bus window, I saw tank traps, sandbagged trenches, tank emplacements, barbed wire, low flying copters.
- The news copters weren't following us anymore they were focused on the tunnel explosion.
- The hail of energy pulses was too much for the copter's armoured hull to take, as it exploded and debris rained down onto the street far below.
- The orb then filled with electricity that shocked the copter and its pilots.
- I thought, remembering the fun we used to have outwitting the police copters by crawling underneath parked cars until we reached safety.
- The rotors started to spin up and they hurriedly jumped to the roof a few feet below, ducking to avoid the backwash from the spinning propellers as the copter lifted off the heliport and headed into the night skyline.
- On the hardware side, making more twin-engine helicopters available would limit the risk of a copter losing juice at altitude.
- From a copter normally used for maintenance checks on tracks and power lines, officers are patrolling vandalism hot spots in Greater Manchester, Lancashire, Merseyside, and Cumbria.
- I heard angels' wings, but they were really only the spinning rotors of the copter.
- And while the copters here move faster, this has been somehow negated by their increased size, now around two times as big as before!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.