In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- You just don't see corgis in the middle of the Serb highlands, and even now I try to figure out how it got there.
- There were also a huge range of aspects of Her Majesty's life - from images of her relaxing with her family and corgis, entertaining, on her royal duties, and as Head of the Commonwealth.
- Without a television or newspapers for entertainment, he spends his time there drinking with the curtains closed against the sunlight, or playing with his dog, a corgi, and claims not to mind the weather.
- The Queen also introduced a new breed of dog known as the ‘dorgi’ when one of her corgis was mated with a dachshund named Pipkin which belonged to Princess Margaret.
- The dogs included shih-tzus, dachshunds, lhasa apsos, bearded collies, corgis, chihuahuas, poodles, Pekinese and Yorkshire terriers.
- They had no children but shared their home with their corgis Foxy and Lady.
- Her first corgi was named Susan and she has owned more than 30 corgis since.
- I notice a couple of corgis dozing on the carpet.
- This Christmas, while her landlady is up in Sandringham and the corgis are safely tucked up in their kennels, Dame Edna welcomes a brace of cameras and some very special guests into her temporary, humble abode.
- Baby Puppy in Show went to a corgi (an older corgi took Best in Show as well) but Millie stepped out very nicely.
- As the Queen posed for a team picture with the England squad, Berry, a rather determined palace dorgi - a cross between a Dachshund and a corgi - insisted he too was on the snapshot.
- Clément the corgi is at their villa in Andalusia.
- The corgi, one of Queen Elizabeth's favorite breeds, is among 162 dog breeds and varieties competing in this year's Westminster Dog Show.
- Many different kinds of animals were moved this way - pigs, cattle, sheep and geese would be driven depending on the time of year - and the working dog was the corgi.
- The burglars struck as she slipped out for a few minutes to buy food for Baz and her corgi cross Gus - both rescue dogs.
- Although the royal corgis weren't in evidence, there were those sparse looking patches of grass familiar to any dog owner!
- A huge black-and-brown mutt flung itself against the wire at her; something that looked vaguely like a corgi looked at her indifferently.
- I suppose you could always blame it on one of the corgis.
- We don't want our nation overrun by a host of poodles, corgis or pit bull terriers.
- I have two cats and a corgi, and I love animals - but people, they ain't.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.