In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pan de harina de maíz masculino
- Southerners added their own slant with cornbread and grits.
- The goal was to have them for dinner tonight with some fresh slaw, a sweet corn salad, some good cornbread and beer.
- But whenever one of these classic New Orleans meals came with cornbread, it was the same sweet, yellow stuff I've always known: Northern-style.
- You see - my dad can only cook so much - cereal, Chef Boyardee, meatloaf (surprisingly his meatloaf isn't that bad), tacos, and cornbread.
- Or as food ‘eaten all over the country, but with greater frequency in the South’, like cornbread and biscuits.
- I prepared it the other night, coming home from work: I had cornbread on the mind and I wanted to use up a lonely head of broccoli that was feeling a bit neglected.
- So cornbread has a special value to me, I call it ‘conversion bread’.
- A thicker version is good on warm cornbread or pitas.
- The winning dressing is a Southwestern mix of cornbread and chorizo.
- The itty-bitty biscuits and cornbread muffins remain in fine form, so the arrival of the breadbasket here is something to anticipate.
- Guests including Sharon Stone and Christina Aguilera were served southern comfort food including spareribs and cornbread.
- Dinner consisted of beer, cornbread, a bit of cheese and tortilla chips.
- We were handed a bowl containing a square of white-corn cornbread soaking up the bacon-flavored pinto bean broth along with a cup of sweet, fresh buttermilk.
- Any type of bread is great on your feeder tray or tossed on the ground - stale biscuits and bread, crusts, crackers, cornbread, pancakes, bagels, French toast - even doughnuts.
- I was so happy to eat biscuits and cornbread I nearly yelled ‘Yeehaw!’
- The two finalists are as different as pastrami and cornbread.
- If you're interested in ham hocks, cornbread, southern funeral repasts, and the history of soul food, she's the expert.
- Corn flour cannot be substituted for corn meal for cornbread, whereas corn meal cannot be substituted for corn flour for tortillas.
- Better to order the soulful steamed littleneck clams in a broth livened by chorizo sausage, with a clever hunk of grilled cornbread to sop up the juices.
- The vadai masala, consisting of whole lentils, hot red chillies, onion, mustard seeds and cilantro, was quite crunchy - somewhere between cornbread and spicy falafel.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.