In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(undergarment)corsé masculinosurgical corset — corsé ortopédico
- The undergarments included stockings, petticoats, drawers, and a corset.
- She did not need a corset for a figure; she had her own natural beauty.
- It would be a horrible pain to have to deal with the corset and many underskirts as well.
- A corset with suspenders, worn in 1910, is on display.
- Gone too are the maid's uniform, multi-layered gowns and tightly-laced corsets she wears in the film, replaced by trousers and a long jacket.
- Then, they placed a white undershirt over her corset, over which they put a beautiful red dress made of crushed velvet.
- Thrusting drawer after drawer open, Adaela discovered stockings, slippers, jewelry, cosmetics, tunics, chemises, corsets, petticoats, and head coverings.
- I was left only in my corset and my undergarments, shivering.
- You just have to explain what kind of look you want, because corsets can change your shape in different ways.
- The corset had been laced quite tightly for the ball and it did not allow for the wearer to consume large amounts of food.
- She wore a reinforced corset so she could support her son and take part in the walk.
- She removed eight petticoats, a corset and silk stockings; finally she stood in just her white linen shift and several pounds of jewelry.
- They wear boots and suspenders and corsets and, yes, hoop skirts.
- Across from these tiny slippers is a case that displays the evolution of the corsets and brassieres that have twisted and shaped the female figure to reflect the ever-changing ideal of what women should look like in Western culture.
- The stuffier styles of a previous era that preferred corsets and petticoats were consigned to the dustbin.
- Along with the dress in the bag was a white mask, shoes that matched the dress perfectly and a large selection of underskirts and a new corset.
- As I guessed, a red ballroom gown is soon pulled on me, the corset below making it almost impossible for me to breathe.
- From the drawer in the bottom of the wardrobe, she picked a shift, two petticoats, and a corset.
- After the corset came stockings, three petticoats, and a pure white overdress.
- Once we reached our teens many girls wore corsets or corselets under their uniforms to keep their figure in trim.
- He has reportedly taken to jogging in a corset to keep in shape.
- Fashion in clothes often influences body shape - witness the corset and the wasp waist.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.