In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1porra femeninocachiporra femeninomacana femenino América Latina
1to cosh sb over the head — darle a algn con una porra en la cabeza
- Fourteen years after this was made, the idea of robberies from trains, and indeed coshing drivers - coolly omitted from the professor's sophistical account of what harm his thieves have really done - lost a smidgen of its innocence.
- If D coshes V and he dies, D would be liable for murder as he intended to cause grievous bodily harm.
- Detectives in Accrington today renewed their appeal for information about a robbery in which a shopkeeper was believed to be coshed with a gun.
- He was coshed over the head by two balaclava clad men who made off with the money.
- Each member brought a particular skill to the gang, which successfully robbed the night mail train to London, causing serious head injuries when they coshed the train driver, who never fully recovered.
- The men rushed into the shop, coshed the manager, and attacked Mr Chapman and another assistant.
- A conspiratorial hush proceeds to cosh the masses, precipitating a muffled ripple of applause as the Mayor and his entourage take to the stand.
- Sorry, it feels like somebody coshed me from behind.
- The columnist coshed me on the back of the head and, while I was out, dumped me in the uncharted territory of his foreign policy mistakes.
- I always tend to choose chairs which allow me to see the whole room and that I feel uncomfortable standing on the street with my back exposed in case someone comes and coshes me.
- He yelled before he was coshed on the head, by a blunt object.
- They threatened to cosh him if he refused to hand over the phone.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.