In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1traje de baño masculinobañador masculino Españavestido de baño masculino Colombiamalla (de baño) femenino Río de la Plata
- Think about coming back from the beach/pool with soggy cossies slapping at your legs or leaking onto your book in your fancy beach bag.
- I don't think I would like it if folk watched me fall off my board all the time, cellulite flapping in the breeze and cozzie riding up the wrong places.
- Since then she's won two Olympic medals and three World Championships, the last of these in 2003, by which time she was wearing a green and gold Aussie cossie.
- But this cossie equilibrium is not quite so simple.
- I said something about no cozzies, and she stripped to just underwear and slipped into the water.
- So wear your cossie all day (watch out for frostbite, mind).
- We stood at the edge shivering in our cozzies and looked across the milky aquamarine water, steam curling around our feet.
- I'm going to take my cozzie up to the Hebrides when I go on holiday later this week, but the weather's supposed to be turning, so I'm not confident that I'll be able to go for more than an extended paddle.
- But you really need to pack your binoculars as well as a cossie, hiking boots as well as flip-flops, and a diving mask as well as shades, because there's a lot more to Tobago than beaches.
- I wasn't much of a swimmer, but I loved my cozzie.
- The time has come to don that cossie and get active for a great cause.
- The good news is whether you want to boost your bust, bare your legs or tuck away your tummy, the variety swimwear available means you can find the perfect cossie to fit your figure.
- I hung my cozzie and sarong on the rickety fan to dry as it churned the thick air, slowly.
- I got out of the spa and danced in front of the mirrors in my cozzies for a minute.
- Thirdly, I passed and saluted a man of about my own age, clad in cozzie like myself, apparently another Sandy Beach flaneur who I see quite often on the road or the beach.
- Now of course when it comes to pulling on our togs, cozzies, bathers or trunks and swimming competitively, Australians never seem to be too far from the medals.
- On Tuesday, she shopped for a swimming cossie at the store.
- I could see beachgoers in their swimming cossies.
- OK, lets dress it up in Victorian cossies and make a period drama.
- Then there's the wonderfully blue pool, two saunas, two steam rooms and two Jacuzzis, changing rooms steeped in aromatic unctions and potions, hair dryers, cozzie dryers, private showers and complimentary towels.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.