In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In fairness to him, he had no other option and he couldn't have done it much better.
- He was so certain of his charms that he couldn't begin to imagine what it might be like not to have them.
- I was walking along a path and the hole is on the top of a hill so I couldn't see it.
- It was baked so hard it couldn't absorb the huge quantities of water that fell so quickly.
- The animals seemed to put up with this affection and the girls couldn't get enough of it.
- One resident who couldn't take it any longer has gone to stay with family in Scotland.
- While we waited to go on the pitch, I tried to look them in the eye, but I couldn't do it.
- It got worse and she couldn't breathe so the doctor was sent for and an ambulance was called.
- My husband was impressed by the way that the viewer couldn't tell who was going to live and die.
- There were no signs in the street which told me that I couldn't park and unload my car.
- During the summer we couldn't even open our windows because the smell was so strong.
- We couldn't hold on to the ball, and the number of basic errors we made was astonishing.
- She got out of the car to swap details with the other driver but couldn't restrain her tears.
- She couldn't believe it when she was told how long she would have to wait, she says.
- It happened because a driver couldn't see a signal because it was obscured by a bridge.
- The drummer of the band which had been hired couldn't make it and a substitute had to be found.
- We couldn't have done it without the help of the local council and town centre manager.
- Legend has it that the bosses couldn't decide which one of us should be given the show.
- So if you couldn't get tickets to the paid events, you can still soak up the atmosphere.
- They said they would be getting more supplies but they couldn't be sure when or how much.
- could not
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.