In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- As a superb targeter of military forces, he was a most crafty inventor of countermeasures to thwart enemy action.
- The company reportedly acquired the ability to launch the electronic countermeasure against pirates in November of last year, but held off on using it until Sunday.
- What priority should be given to satellite system defense, including on-board countermeasures?
- Though military aircraft can employ countermeasures, civilian planes don't have that capability.
- The laser beam is coded for protection against countermeasures.
- I believe that there's an effective countermeasure for most strategies and tactics that people develop.
- If the threat is hijacking, then the countermeasure doesn't protect against all the myriad of ways people can subdue the pilot and crew.
- This suite allows the aircrew to detect radar and missile threats and react while deploying countermeasures to defeat anything fired at them.
- Even where the US has technical advantages, effective countermeasures usually exist.
- Industry is playing a key role by rapidly fielding countermeasures that help soldiers to stay ahead of the enemy.
- It's investigating whether potassium citrate, a proven Earth-based therapy to minimize kidney stone development, can be used as a countermeasure to reduce the risk of kidney stone formation in space.
- The equipment is then exploited at succeedingly higher levels until a countermeasure is developed to neutralize the enemy's technological advantage.
- At Headquarters, an office in the Directorate of Science and Technology decided to try to produce a countermeasure.
- The aircraft also is configured with advanced countermeasures to reduce the effectiveness of enemy defenses.
- The entire range of U-boat countermeasures available to the allies was deployed at one time or another in the channel.
- Being a new countermeasure, it calls for theoretical elaboration and practical familiarization.
- She agrees with anecdotal reports from aviators that controlled breathing is an effective countermeasure for motion sickness.
- Economic countermeasures boil down to cutting financial support and preventing the use of these financial resources for terrorism.
- It also gives the various navies and sailors a chance to see what is new in the field of mine countermeasures, as new ship designs and equipment are always being introduced to the force.
- We use preventive countermeasures like encryption and access control to avoid different threats.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.