In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1amor cortés masculino
- The sense of courtly love as a unique European achievement and hence a key element in establishing European cultural identity was widely discussed in the interwar period.
- Yet this text pre-dates the medieval poetry of courtly love by over a thousand years.
- The cult of the Virgin in the Middle Ages, he argues, led to the courtly love poets, the troubadours, idealising women in their writing.
- In the ‘Franklin's Tale,’ Geoffrey Chaucer satirically paints a picture of a marriage steeped in the tradition of courtly love.
- The fiddle and harp were the most respectable, played by the troubadours and associated with courtly love.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.