In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Murals of deserts populated with wagon trails, circling bald eagles and cowpokes chasing cattle fill the walls.
- In his final 18 years, Harman produced oils, drawings, and bronzes of rodeos, cowpokes and other rustic scenes.
- These two saddle-weary cowpokes have been riding the range together for about 10 years when the story begins.
- The film introduces audiences to a varied collection of Americans - from a Vermont dairy farmer to a Colorado cowpoke.
- From its start in the 1920s, it was a hobby - an amusing interpretation of American hobos and cowpokes.
- It isn't going to be easy to convince her that we are just a couple of run-of-the-mill cowpokes.
- Pick up the phone and get a posse together, cowpoke!
- I wonder how the folk of Edinburgh might treat a wee refugee Glasgow cowpoke seeking asylum in the east.
- He's a tired and sleepy little cowpoke and that makes him somber.
- I marvel at everything from a three-handed cowpoke to a lasso that can turn into a bridge.
- Between farm work and treating the injuries of cowpokes, Maggie is able to put together a decent life for her family.
- Singing cowpokes even penned some of our favorite tunes, from yuletide classics to country standards.
- I recently saw a video of some real authentic-looking cowpokes hanging around a pasture.
- All the bulls get excited, everybody gets trampled, and we cowpokes spend the next few days trying to gather in the strays.
- Ava smiled as she greeted the auburn-haired cowpoke.
- Finally, on a high ridge overlooking the town of Empire, the cowpokes halted.
- The cowpoke's folksy simile became ‘as high as an elephant's eye.’
- Those cowpokes are concerned about recoil so they can shoot faster.
- They might not have liked that kind of dishonesty in a young cowpoke.
- At first glance it seems an odd fit, this touch of cosmopolitan chic in a land of cowpokes and pickup trucks.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.