In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(idea) descabellado(person) chiflado coloquial(person) chalado coloquial(person) rayado América Latina coloquial
- It cannot be possible that a man of that sagacity should be associated with such a crackbrained scheme.
- On his own, he would have shared in the crackbrained political theories that abounded wherever tourists were to be found.
- A belief or a conviction, no matter how crackbrained, is not an assertion subject to editorial or legal correction.
- Why would they ship their only daughter across five countries to compete in some crackbrained battle of the fittest?
- He told me straight away that I was crackbrained and only dreaming.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.