In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The plugging of the new Lions anthem at Cardiff was cringe-making stuff but it being sung at a time when the Millennium Stadium should really have been observing a respectful hush was crass beyond words.
- There did, it has to be said, follow a rather cringe-making acceptance speech..
- However, not all headlines are so clever; indeed some are even cringe-making.
- The out-take scene used over the final credits is a cringe-making business that doesn't even deserve to make it on to the DVD.
- ‘It's such a good feeling when you get such a great response from the audience,’ says Clarke, who has never before visited Lancaster and loves the reaction to the cringe-making comedy.
- Dodgy books, cringe-making photos of hairstyles you would rather forget about, a mix of furniture and the odd beautiful piece picked up over years of travel, can all cohabit.
- However, he must beware the pitfalls of trying to be too smart-alecky, too ready with the cringe-making quip.
- It was only one game - one nightmarish, awful, humiliating, cringe-making, hide-behind-the-sofa, please-stop-now game.
- It's just one of the many cringe-making lines that people are always saying in this film, cheesier than Roquefort in the microwave.
- But it's favorable in so many cringe-making ways.
- In another spectacularly cringe-making moment, a bronzed goddess warns through her pout: ‘This could rip two people apart.’
- One of the more cringe-making moments was the sight of tickets practically being given away on the streets in the hours before kick-off.
- Depending on your tastes, it was a golden moment in the history of British music or a cringe-making aural atrocity.
- What follows is plenty of slapstick humour, the odd chuckle, way too much mushy stuff and some truly cringe-making moments.
- But what about the cringe-making moment when people burst into song for no apparent reason?
- Celebs are notorious for choosing cringe-making names.
- The worry is not so much that someone came up with this cringe-making slogan, but that a higher authority presumably approved it and the resulting expense.
- It's a triple threat: atrocious music, wretched lyrics, cringe-making theology.
- Ignore the cringe-making title; this is a European best-seller that's worth checking out.
- The way this interviewer behaved provided the programme's most cringe-making moments.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.